Annual Yamanashi Tour
February 13, 2019
Gaijin put Barbarians to the Sword
March 3, 2019
Show all


V Kameari RFC

Dateline: February 24th, 2019

A strong first half which included a Masato Fujita hat-trick has helped the Tokyo Gaijin RFC to a big win over Kameari RFC at Katsushika Niijuku Mirai Park Sports Field to the tune of 73 v 7.

Captain Louie Hamilton got the ball rolling, scoring in just the second minute, after good hands across the backline.

In the 7th minute Tommy Nasuno scored under the posts after an offload by Joffa Harris put him in a big hole up the middle.

Four minutes later and the Gaijin were in again after scrumhalf David McElhinney scored from a scrum in center field.

In the 15th minute Masato Fujita had the first of his three tries when the Gaijin won a turnover and the ball was swung left through the hands and Fujita showed good pace to run 30 metres down the sideline to score. Daisuke Teraoka, who had 3 from 3 thus far, missed the sideline conversion to leave the score at 26 v 0.

In the 19th minute Fujita was in again after the ball was swung left from a scrum on the 22 metre line creating an overlap for him to power down the touchline to score. Teraoka missed again from the sideline.

In the 23rd minute Joffa Harris made a break one off the ruck around the Kameari 22 metre line and stepped the fullback and circled around under the posts to score and make it easier for Teraoka who duly converted to make the score 38 v 0.

In the 27th minute Moseses Nasegesege broke the defensive line from a scrum 20 metres out and unselfishly offloaded for Taku Tokuriki to score near the posts. The successful conversion from Teraoka made it 45 v 0.

Winger Masato Fujita then grabbed his third down the left flank in the 29th minute and Teraoka’s successful conversion from the sideline made the halftime score 52 v 0.

With such a big lead at halftime the Gaijin decided to clear the bench and made wholesale changes to give all their members a decent run. It had been all one way traffic with tries coming every three or four minutes. The second half would be more of an arm-wrestle though as Kameari completely dominated the Gaijin scrum and held a territorial advantage with a big penalty count in their favor. The Gaijin still outpointed Kameari RFC 21 points to 7 in the second half but it was mostly through breakaway tries from deep in their territory and good support of the ball carrier.

With captain Louie Hamilton off the field due to a head knock Tommy Nasuno took over the captaincy and led by example with the first try of the second half as he powered through tacklers with good leg drive from 10 metres out. Teraoka continued his fine kicking form to convert and make the score 59 v 0 six minutes into the second half.

In the 11th minute of the half Kameari RFC finally got on the score sheet after two scrum penalties in quick succession saw them kick to the corner for a line out and power over the line with a strong rolling maul. The conversion from wide out was successful and they finally had something to show for their scrum dominance in the second half.

In the 20th minute of the half Louie Hamilton, recently back on the field, broke through the defense 40 metres out and galloped away to score under the posts showing none of the ill-effects of his head knock.

The final try of the match came through a loose Kameari pass that went to ground. Taku Tokuriki swooped on the loose ball and broke away down field. He passed it off to Donny Tanaka, who added another 20 metres with a strong diagonal run. As he was tackled Tanaka swung the ball to his supports but it just went to ground. Gaijin halfback David McElhinney was first to the ball and kicked ahead and got a fortuitous bounce and won the race to score. Teraoka booted the conversion over to leave him with 9 from 11 and an 82% success rate.

The game had two very contrasting halves with one way traffic to the try line for the Gaijin in the first half. The second half belonged to Kameari territory-wise if not on the scoreboard. The experienced Kameari front row powered over the top of the Gaijin scrum countless times in the second half and earned many penalties which kept them camped in the Gaijin half for long periods. The second half locking pair will need to work on being tighter as a unit. The pick of the forwards for the Gaijin were Tommy Nasuno and Taku Tokuriki who got through a lot of work in attack.

The backs were well marshalled by halves pairing of David McElhinney and Daisuke Teraoka. Teraoka was the eventual Man of the Match after guiding his team around the field well to go with his excellent 9 from 11 try conversions. Mosese Nasegesege also caused a lot of problems for the Kameari backline defense and showed good handling skills.

SCORE: TGRFC 73 (Masato Fujita 3, Louie Hamilton 2, Tommy Nasuno 2, David McElhinney 2, Joffa Harris 1, Taku Tokuriki 1 tries; Daisuke Teraoka 9/11 conversions ) Kameari RFC 7 (1 try, 1/1 conversions)

MVP: Daisuke Teraoka


  1. Gorka Gerediaga (Basque)
  2. Tommy Nasuno (Japan)
  3. Tsunaki ‘Don’ Tanaka (Japan)
  4. Andrew Mills (NZ)
  5. Taku Tokuriki (Japan)
  6. Mosese Rarasea (Fiji)
  7. Joffa Harris (Australia)
  8. Takashi Tanikawa (Japan)
  9. David McElhinney (Ireland)
  10. Daisuke Teraoka (Japan)
  11. Masato Fujita (Japan)
  12. Louie Hamilton (c) (Ireland)
  13. Mosese Nasegesege (Fiji)
  14. Taku Eguchi (South Africa)
  15. Ryosuke Okawara (Japan)


  1. Manul Udakambura (Sri Lanka)
  2. Natsuhiko Kunitomo (Japan)
  3. Jared Schiefer (USA)
  4. Mohammed Win Irham (Indonesia)
  5. Touch Roy (Australia)
  6. Izawa Hanabusa (Japan)
  7. Sovita Tui (Fiji)
  8. Jay Murasa (Japan)

Comments are closed.